Letter of Introduction

Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,


I am writing to introduce myself. I am Justin, a year one mechanical engineering student attending your critical thinking and communicating module. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic in 2021 with a Diploma in Robotics and Mechatronics.


I have been interested in engineering since I was young, from building Legos to plastic model kits to robotic kits, where you can put together simple robots capable of walking and jumping. I was ecstatic when I was allowed to work on my own bipedal mechanical walking robot for my final year project in poly, using AutoCAD design and coding. Working on this robot allowed me to hone my engineering skills while keeping an open mind when I run into problems, forcing me to look at the big picture and continue on from there. The ability to design and turn it into reality makes engineering gratifying for me, and I see challenges as a way to improve my skills in the field.


I believe my communication skills are that of an average person. I am confident to present to a class-sized audience and have been on stage before, although I was not alone. I was a saxophonist in a symphonic band and had chances to perform to large crowds, sometimes with a solo, allowing me to build my confidence. My weakness is communicating in smaller groups, especially with unfamiliar people, as I have trouble starting and holding conversations. Without a topic or others to start a conversation with, I often find myself in awkward silence, and I hope that through this module, I can work to fix that.


"Whatever happens, happens." is an attitude I have. I tend to take a back seat to situations, only reacting to what has happened. Moving forward, I aim to be more proactive, taking control of what goes on in my life and seeking out new ways to improve myself. I am eager for your guidance as I better myself, hoping to pick up the skills you have honed over the years.


Best regards,

Justin


Edited on 23 Nov 2023

Feedbacked on:

KaiFong, Keris, Austin

Comments

  1. interesting letter. learnt so much more about you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank for taking your time to comment on my post!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justin, it is great to see someone with the same interest in rotary projects/ model kits led us to engineering. Additionally, great emphasis on how your commitment in symphonic band has build your confidence and I believe confidence is one of the factors in communicating effectively to a crowd. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zi Hui, thank you for taking your time to read and reply to my post!

      Delete
  4. Hello Justin, after reading your email, I've gained a better understanding of your background. You have provided an interesting example of your final year project, but I would suggest expanding on it to include the skills you've acquired and the challenges you faced during its completion. This would add depth and context to your project. Overall, I think that the tone and structure of your email is appropriate. I believe that as you progress through this module, you will continue to make improvements in your communication skills. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keris, thank you for taking your time to read and reply to my post! I agree that I should have expanded on my experience working on my final year project. Thank you for the feedback, I will make the addition soon.

      Delete
  5. Hi Justin, good to see that our passion for engineering started from Legos. I did not know you play the saxophone and I probably would not have know if not for this letter. I feel like I know you a little better now and I hope to know you better as the trimester progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Austin, thank you for reading and commenting on my letter! Lets work hard together for this module!

      Delete
  6. Hey Justin, your introduction is quite informative and written in a clear and engaging manner. It's cool how you connected your band experiences to gaining confidence in presenting. Your letter is well-structured, making it easy for me to follow your journey and intentions in each section. While performing confidently in front of big crowds is impressive, I hope this module helps you feel more at ease in smaller group settings too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael, thank you for reading and commenting on my post! Let us work to improve ourselves through this module!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Professor Blackstone for taking your time to read and comment on my letter! I look forward to growing under your care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretation of Quote